Kindle Cloud Readeris browser-based Light upebook reader that you can use on your computer.
- You automatically access the Cloud Reader with your
- You can purchase Kindle books using the Kindle Store link at the top of the Kindle Cloud Reader Library page.
The Amazon Kindle is a popular tablet designed for reading e-books. If you buy Kindle books from Amazon, you can read them using the Kindle app for other mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad, and Android. But Amazon gives you another easy way to read e-books – using the Kindle Cloud Reader, which lets you read your books online in almost any web browser.
How to Set Up and Access Kindle Cloud Reader
If you have an Amazon account, you automatically have access to the Kindle Cloud Reader; you can open it in any popular web browser and log in using your Amazon account credentials.
If you don’t already have an Amazon account, you’ll need to create one before you can start using Kindle Cloud Reader. Go to Amazon and click Account and Lists top right. In the drop-down menu under the New to Amazon? section, click Create your Amazon account and follow the instructions to get started. Once you have created an account, the Kindle Cloud Reader will be ready and waiting for you.
Quick advice: If you want to read Kindle books offline in a place without internet service, you need to use the Kindle app on a mobile device or your computer. The Kindle Cloud Reader no longer allows you to download books for offline reading.
How to Add Books to Kindle Cloud Reader
You can add books to your Kindle Cloud Reader by purchasing ebooks from Amazon.
From the Kindle Cloud Reader, do the following:
1. Click on Kindle Store at the top right of the page.
2. Browse or search for books. When you find one you want, click on it.
3. On the book’s product page, make sure the Light up version is selected. You may also see other editions listed, such as paperbacks, hardcovers, and audiobooks.
4. Before you complete the purchase, you may notice that there is a Deliver to: scrolling menu. It is not important to select a specific entry (like Kindle Cloud Reader). When you buy a Kindle book, it becomes immediately available on all your devices, including the Cloud Reader.
5. Buy the book in the usual way.
You should see the new book appear automatically in the Kindle Cloud Reader.
How to Read Books on Kindle Cloud Reader
Reading a book in the Kindle Cloud Reader is simple: click on the title you want to read. The book will open and you can move forward in the book by clicking on the arrow on the side of the page, using the arrow keys on the keyboard or the spacebar.
You can also customize the reading experience with a small menu. To bring up the menu, move the mouse pointer up or down the page. Here are your options:
- Kindle and your library: Click the Kindle logo or the Your Library button to return to your library page and select another book.
- Go to menu: This menu, which looks like three horizontal lines, lets you jump directly to specific parts of the book, such as the cover, table of contents, or a specific page.
- Display settings: This menu allows you to change formatting and readability options such as font size, margin size, page color and number of columns.
- Toggle bookmark: Click here to bookmark (or unbookmark) the current page.
- Show notes and marks: This button displays a list of all pages containing bookmarks, notes and highlighted text.
- To sychronize: Click this button to manually sync the current book so that all changes are up to date on any other device you want to read it on.
- Location: At the bottom of the page, you will see a slider that indicates where you are in the book. You can drag the slider to quickly jump to another location.
In addition to these menus, you can highlight text or add notes for later reference. To do this, select the desired text with the mouse and you will see a context menu appear. To choose Highlight Where To note and enter a note if desired.
How to Delete a Book from Kindle Cloud Reader
One of the downsides to using the Kindle Cloud Reader rather than the Kindle mobile app is that the Cloud Reader can get cluttered with books, making it potentially difficult to find a title you want to read.
If you want to organize the Cloud Reader by deleting a book, unfortunately you have to permanently delete it from your Amazon account (so if you want to read it again, you will have to repurchase it). If you want to do this:
1. Open the Amazon website in a web browser.
2. Move the mouse pointer over Account and Lists then click Content and Devices in the drop-down menu.
3. Check the box of one or more books you want to delete, then click Remove at the top of the page.